UK Investor Visa
The UK investor visa, also known as the Tier 1 investor visa, was designed to attract foreign investment and allowed foreign nationals to invest in the UK economy. However, it is important to note that as of February 17, 2022, the UK government has suspended the issuance of this visa.
There are certain conditions for those who already hold a Tier 1 investor visa. Holders of this visa are eligible to apply for its extension until February 17, 2026. In addition, the ability to apply for indefinite leave to remain as a Tier 1 investor will continue until February 17, 2028.
The main requirement for this visa prior to its suspension was that the applicant had at least £2 million in assets. These funds had to be invested in shares and bonds of UK companies, which confirmed the investor’s intention to contribute to the country’s economic growth.
Despite the suspension of the program, the Tier 1 investor visa remained one of the key tools for attracting foreign investors to the UK.
What Is An Investment Visa UK
The Tier 1 Investor Visa is a special visa category designed by the UK government to attract foreign investors who are willing to make significant investments in the UK economy. This visa is designed specifically for individuals with substantial financial means who are looking to diversify their investments and are interested in investing in the UK.
One of the key benefits of the Tier 1 investor visa is the ability to fully reside in the UK. Holders of this visa and their dependents have the right to live, work and study in the country without any restrictions. This opens the door to high quality education for the children of investors and local business networking opportunities.
In addition, obtaining an investor visa is often seen as the first step towards permanent settlement in the UK. After 5 years of residence on this visa, investors are eligible to apply for permanent residence, making this visa category particularly attractive to those considering the UK as a future long-term residence.
It is important to note that Tier 1 investor visa holders can bring their dependents, such as spouses or children, who will also have all of the above rights and benefits.
UK Investor Visa Requirements
The Tier 1 UK investment visa is intended for individuals who are willing to make a significant investment in the UK economy. To successfully apply for this visa, a potential investor must meet a number of strict requirements.
The main requirements for a Tier 1 investor visa include:
- The applicant or their partner must have financial resources of at least £2 million;
- The funds must be deposited in an institution that is regulated by the relevant authority;
- Willingness and ability to transfer said funds to the UK and convert them into local currency;
- At the time of application, the investor has already opened or intends to open a UK bank account to invest the specified amount.
- In addition to the above requirements, applicants must also demonstrate the origin of their investment funds. The UK Home Office conducts background checks on financial transactions to ensure that the origin of the funds is legitimate.
Additionally, applicants must provide criminal records from all countries where they have resided for more than 12 months in the last 10 years. This is to ensure that the applicant does not pose a threat to the public safety of the country.
Conditions For Obtaining Investment Visa UK For Two Years
The UK Investor Visa for 2 years provides excellent opportunities for investors wishing to invest in the UK economy. However, one of the key points of this program is the need to prove the origin of your funds if they have been in your accounts for more than 2 years prior to the date of your visa application.
Possible sources of funding may include:
- A gift that has been given to you or your spouse or civil partner in the last two years;
- Funds received from the sale of assets, such as your business or real estate in the last two years;
- Capital accumulated in your business or your spouse’s or partner’s business;
- Amount received as an inheritance within the last two years;
- Financial restitution or compensation received as a result of divorce in the last two years;
- Money received as a result of a winnings or financial award;
- Any other legal source of income supported by appropriate documentation.
- It is important to understand that when applying for an investor visa, all of the above sources of funding must be properly documented.
What Assets Can Be Invested In To Qualify For a Visa
The UK investor visa provides excellent opportunities for foreign investors who are willing to contribute to the country’s economy. However, to qualify for such a visa, the investor must strictly follow the regulations regarding which assets are allowed to be invested in.
The main rule is that the investment must be made in the equity of UK companies. This means that an investor can purchase shares in companies registered and operating in the UK.
When deciding how to allocate their capital, an investor should also consider the restrictions. It is prohibited to invest in:
- Offshore companies or trusts: These structures are often used to minimize tax and such investments do not meet the purpose of the investor visa.
- Publicly traded investment companies: These are companies whose shares are freely traded on the stock market and which invest in a portfolio of stocks and bonds of various companies.
- Companies specializing in real estate investment, property management or development: These companies are often associated with speculative operations in the real estate market, which is not in line with the main purpose of the investor visa.
How Long Does It Take To Obtain a Visa
Obtaining a UK golden visa is a relatively complex process, requiring a number of documents to be submitted and certain requirements to be met. However, one of the main questions for many applicants is how long it will take to process this visa.
When applying for an investors visa UK, applicants have the option to choose between the standard or priority consideration process.
Priority Review: If you want to speed up the process, you can choose priority review. In this case, your application will be processed on a priority basis and you will typically receive your entry clearance within 5 business days.
Standard Processing: For most applicants, the standard waiting time is approximately 8 weeks from the time you submit all required documents and complete the application process.
How Long a Visa is Granted For
The UK investor visa is designed for those who are prepared to invest significant sums in the UK economy. By obtaining such a visa, you automatically get the right to stay in the country for three years, after which you are given the opportunity to extend this status. An important stage after the five-year stay is the right to apply for permanent residence in the UK.
However, it is worth noting an interesting feature: for those investors who are ready to increase their investments, there are privileged conditions. Investing an amount of £5 million, you can expect to receive permanent residency status after three years. If your investment is £10 million, this period is reduced to two years. This allows you to integrate more quickly into British society and take advantage of the benefits of permanent residency.